Learn, Share, Grow – Leading Loyalty
Below is a lesson from FranklinCovey’s podcast On Leadership on how to lead to inspire loyalty, as well as our key learning.
The Blue Courage team is dedicated to continual learning and growth. We have adopted a concept from Simon Sinek’s Start With Why team called “Learn, Share, Grow”. We are constantly finding great articles, videos, and readings that have so much learning. As we learn new and great things, this new knowledge should be shared for everyone to then grow from.
By Shawn Moon
“Join Shawn Moon, author of the forthcoming book Leading Loyalty, as he shares how leaders can empower frontline employees to increase customer loyalty, using the principles of empathy, responsibility, and generosity.”
Watch the episode here.
- 70% of how your organization is perceived is driven by the front line person.
- Front line person is typically the least trained, least paid, highest turn over, yet largest base within that organization.
- We don’t create a sense of loyalty. Today we have so much choice.
- The key to dealing with the front line level is that first line leader — the front line manager. To influence to front-line and change their behavior to drive new and better results.
- 3 principles of human behavior — natural law that is timeless, self evident, universal, self validating, applies in every culture:
- Empathy — walking a mile in someone else’s shoes. “The deepest need of the human soul is to feel understood.” Stephen R. Covey. Often we talk to be understood — we don’t listen first to understand.
- Responsibility — It’s a mindset — are we really taking the time to understand the job that really needs to be done.
- Generosity — do we go just a little bit extra ethically? Doesn’t mean giving extra services or product, but extra consideration, extra care, extra time.
- Practice — how to implement these principles at a practical level.
- Connect — make a human connection. “With people, fast is slow and slow is fast.” Stephen R. Covey
- Follow Up
- Huddle — process to which we engage the front line worker for implementation. 10-15 minutes bite-size, weekly time within the seams of the workday to discuss, acknowledge people who did right, commit and learn.
- Loyalty leader mindset – paradigm shift
- The need for empathy – what and why it’s important
- Make a genuine human connection
- Listen to learn the hidden story — everyday we come to work and we carry with us all the stuff that we are dealing with. Understanding the hidden story — if we understood what was in people’s minds and in their hearts, would we treat them differently?
- The need for responsibility
- Discover the real job to be done
- Follow Up to Strengthen the relationship
- The need for generosity
- Share insights openly
- Surprise with unexpected extras
- Your loyalty legacy — What does this mean to you and how are your customers going to be different because of your leadership? Every single person in the workforce today has a customer — whether the person over the counter buying a product or the person at the next desk/cubicle (internal and external). Deliberately leading loyalty.
- People have choice — if they don’t feel that connection, they will leave.
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.